The Pump built as a memorial to John Hartford, is made from stone as is located in the centre of the mini village green and is a work of art itself.
The hamlet is accessed via a gate off the footpath of halen road, although as the cottages are occupied it is requested by the national trust that you do not enter the hamlet, and view it/take pictures from the gate, unless you have seeked permission
Blaise Hamlet is a group of nine cottages built around 1811/12, originally located on the edge of the Blaise Estate, although it has since been seperated from the rest of the estate by housing development.
The hamlet was designed by architect John Nash and built by George Repton for retired employees of John Hartford, who at the time owned the Blaise Castle Estate and it was also thought it would enhance the look of the estate/
The hamlet is built around a village green with a village pump that was built by the son of John Hartford as a memorial to his father.
The cottages are called, Oak Cottage, Diamond Cottage, Dutch Cottage, Double Cottage, Rose Cottage, Dial Cottage, Circular Cottage, Sweetbriar Cottage and Vine Cottage.
The Hamlet was gifted to the National Trust in 1943 and has been owned and maintained by the trust ever since, the cottages were Grade I listed in 1959.
In 1975 the cottages underwent an extensive refurbishment, which included internal moderisation and restored the external features (Thatch and Chimneys). They are currently occupied, although the National Trust does let out Rose Cottage as holiday cottage.
As the cottages in the hamlet are occupied it is not open to the public, but the hamlet can be viewed from the main road.
With further development of the local area the hamlet got seperated from the rest of the estate, by the main road and other smaller housing developments.
This has lead to hamlets isolated nature, where many people drive, walk or cycle past each day without knowing what is just beyond the gate.