Stratford Mill dates from around 1700 and was one of two water mills originally homed in the village of Moreton, Somerset, the other being Herriot's Mill.
In 1816 the mill was used for the production of paper, but this ceased by 1830 due to the mill not being able to compete with other manufacturers including Wookey Hole. Once the mill had stopped being used to produce paper, it became a flour mill and flour production continued for many years.
At the turn of the 20th century a young girl named Catherine Brown from the local village drowned at the mill and her ghost is said to still be seen around the former site of the mill until this day.
The village was lost in the early 1950's when it was submerged in order to create Chew Valley Lake, luckily Stratford Mill was dismantled and moved to the grounds of Blaise Castle Estate in 1956, in order to save it from demolition where it was rebuilt on Hazel Brook.
Its sister mill Herriot's Mill was unfortunately lost to Chew Valley Lake, although the foundations of the mill can still be seen in periods of drought when the water level is low.
The building was Grade II listed in 1977, but in recent years the mill has started to fall into disrepair and has been subject to multiple cases of vandalism, there is currently no public access.
A long term aspiration is to restore the mill to its former glory, and open it to the public once more. Although this will not be a quick, easy or cheap undertaking.